Hydraulic Cylinder Pistons
What Are Hydraulic Cylinder Pistons?
A hydraulic cylinder is a cylinder barrel where a piston is attached to a piston rod that moves back and forth. On each end by the cylinder bottom, the barrel is closed. The cylinder head is where the piston rod comes out of the cylinder and is called the cap end.
What Is the Role of Pistons in Cylinder Assemblies?
The main role of pistons is to transfer heat energy by transferring the force output of an expanding gas located in the cylinder to a crankshaft. The piston separates the inside of the cylinder into two chambers, the cap end, the bottom chamber, and the piston rod side chamber. The hydraulic pressure pushes the piston to go into motion.
What Are the Different Types of Pistons Used in Various Applications?
The following three types of pistons are distinguishable by their shape: flat top, dome, and dish.
Flat-top pistons have the most force to create an even flame distribution as they contain the smallest surface space. This type of piston is typically used for creating efficient combustion.
Dish pistons are shaped similarly to a plate with outer edges that curl up a little. Usually, dish pistons are used in boosted applications that do not need a high compression ratio.
Dome Pistons are shaped like a bubble, similar to the roof of a stadium. This helps increase the surface area available on the top of the piston. By having more surface area, less compression occurs. Dome pistons essentially help prevent an engine from ripping itself apart.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Pistons
Here are the important factors and characteristics when selecting high-quality pistons for cylinder parts:
- Pistons should be made from material with low expansion and provision to accommodate different expansion rates of aluminum pistons and cast iron cylinders.
- Pistons should be weightless to reduce the mass attached to them. This will enable higher engine speeds and streamline the performance of the machine.
- They should be able to withstand high-quality heat conductivity to decrease the risk of explosions and resist high pressure and high compression ratios.
- Pistons should operate in silence and not make any loud abrupt noises.
- They should be made with a properly formed skirt to provide uniform bearing when machines are being operated.
Benefits of Quality Pistons
These are the benefits of using high-quality pistons in cylinder assemblies:
- They produce very high linear force.
- They can function properly using very high pressures and speeds.
- You can purchase both variable and fixed-type displacement units.
Check out what our customers had to say about our products:
“Maverick offers a wide range of standard cylinders and will customize them to meet your needs. This wide range of standard cylinders means Maverick has the materials and designs on hand ready to build.”
Why Choose Us?
We know that time is of the essence in the manufacturing industry, so at Maverick we jump to swift action to fulfilling your request and accommodate any deadlines or schedules you need to meet with your hydraulic cylinder shipment.
At Maverick Machines & Hydraulics, we want to be held accountable and offer individual serial numbers on each of our hydraulic cylinder products. In cases where you will require repairs in the future, or you have a question regarding an OEM design, our products have 100% traceability.
For every hydraulic cylinder we manufacture and every hydraulic repair, we utilize our test bench to test each cylinder under a specific load and pressure to ensure our products can withhold even the most extreme force.
3-Month Full Warranty
At Maverick Machines & Hydraulics, our quality workmanship is backed up with a standard 1-year replacement guarantee and an optional 5-year pro-rated warranty.
Our Piston Dimensions & Specs